Re: New Connection for Each Query

From: kyle Hailey <kylelf_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 9 Jun 2008 17:22:46 -0700

Probably the best method is just to measure it yourself if you can. Write a script that connects/disconnects at a high rate and measure the CPU effect on the machine when nothing else is running. Run the script at the logon rate of your current applciaiton. You can get the logon rate from statspack.

If you are on 10g you can look at the time model for connection time , ie "connection management call elapsed time" in view v$sys_time_model. Look at this with AWR report or Statspack to get the delta and see how much time you spend connecting much/most of which can be CPU, but I've had smaller than expected values from this statistic before (1/10th of what I expected) so I just set up a script to logon/logoff when nothing else was going on the machine and measured how much CPU was being used. It's quite expensive. In my case , if I recall correctly, 4 connections a second was a full CPU the machine.