Re: DR implementation using Dataguard ... Best Practices ?

From: Roman Podshivalov <roman.podshivalov_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 9 Jun 2008 16:52:57 -0400

Hi,

I would recommend to review the Best Practices from Oracle Corp itself - starting from here:

http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/B19306_01/server.102/b25159/configbp.htm#HABPT00203

Specifically there is a system event DB_ROLE_CHANGE which helps to transition a SERVICE between primary/standby database upon switchover or failover. With proper tnsnames.ora, listing both primary and standby hosts and service name (not sid or global name) role transition will be _almost_ transparrent to clients.

Trick with DNS change works, but there is a downside to it - DNS cache has to be cleaned out upon role transition or you have to reduce TTL for A record which puts an additional load to DNS server(s).

--romas