Re: Certifications don't count! (from one who has none)

From: Mike Haddon <m.haddon_at_tx.rr.com>
Date: Sun, 08 Jun 2008 23:26:12 -0500

I agree with Robert.

I have over 19 years as a DBA. I started in the Army with Oracle 4.1R3 and Unix SysVr2. I have worked with several big 6 firms and several startups.

I was around when Oracle Corp started their OCA (Oracle Consultants Association) program and also when they started the Certification program.

I have interviewed several 'Certified' DBA's and found them to be very light in areas where experience is the only qualification. I have also interviewed those that have been very impressive with their technical knowledge and common sense approach to database administration and no certification at all.

It's the way people apply their knowledge to the circumstances at hand that matter. Not the qualifications on their resume that matter.

References count more than paper. That, and the ability to find the solution that makes sense for the business as well as the technology.

Just my .02

Mike