Re: Certifications don't count!

From: Dan Norris <dannorris_at_dannorris.com>
Date: Sun, 08 Jun 2008 23:33:58 -0400

I haven't heard of any cases of "faked" OCM credentials, but I have
heard of some "more experienced" DBAs digging out their old "Oracle
Master" booklet and creating confusion. I didn't participate, but back
in the 90s, Oracle Education had a program they called "Oracle Master".
It amounted to a reward program for those that spent a lot of time and
money with Oracle Education by giving them the title of "Oracle Master"
after completing a prescribed list of courses. I stopped hearing about
the program for a while, but when OCM was created, I heard of a few
digging out their old Oracle Master certificate.

Certifications shouldn't be a replacement for a thorough technology interview, but may be used as a qualification to offer an interview in some cases. I've gone through many of Oracle's certifications, but mainly because I like to know it means when someone else tells me they're certified.

All that said, I have to say that I agree with many of the comments on this thread. The OCA and OCP exams can be passed by relatively inexperienced individuals with good test-taking and cramming abilities. The OCM practicum is a different story and requires some hands-on experience, but none of those things qualifies a person for much except possibly the right to an interview with you ;). I love a good technically challenging interview...whether I'm conducting it or having it conducted on me!

Dan

Robert Freeman wrote:
Again, let me be clear. I'm *not* saying that OCM is a perfect indication, it's not. I am saying that it holds some validity for me over that of the OCP or the OCA. I'm saying that it's one of a number of things that will get you at least a phone interview, not the only one and not alone, by itself. One could have 20 years of experience with a glowing resume and fail miserably at a technical interview (I've seen it more than once). There is no perfect measuring stick. I'm sure many of us have hired someone that in retrospect was not such a grand idea. It's just silly to throw out one of many yardsticks that you can use to measure someone by.

Also, just because one OCM fails an interview is, by itself, not a very good statistical sample by which to judge the OCM and what it has to say about candidates overall. Also, did you verify his OCM with Oracle? I wonder if there are those out there who will fake such credentials hoping that they won't be checked on. Has anyone ever seen a case where someone faked credentials?

RF

Robert G. Freeman
Author:
Portable DBA: Oracle (Oracle Press)
Oracle9i RMAN Backup and Recovery (Oracle Press)
Oracle9i New Feature
Blog: http://robertgfreeman.blogspot.com (Oracle Press)
The LDS Church is looking for DBA's. You must be LDS to apply (please don't write to me and tell me I'm breaking the law. A church can choose to hire members of it's own faith. Look it up if you don't believe me).