Re: rman configuration

From: Robert Freeman <robertgfreeman_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 6 Jun 2008 14:05:52 -0700 (PDT)

Best practice is to create a directory on a file system that is not root, OH (I will put it in the FRA structure, or the ADMIN structure if it's not in OH). I'm not sure tape is even supported but it would not make sense anyway. This file gets overwritten each time an RMAN backup executes, so you should have rather consistent disk space usage.

RF

 Robert G. Freeman
Author:
Oracle Database 11g New Features (Oracle Press) Portable DBA: Oracle (Oracle Press)
Oracle Database 10g New Features (Oracle Press) Oracle9i RMAN Backup and Recovery (Oracle Press) Oracle9i New Feature
Blog: http://robertgfreeman.blogspot.com (Oracle Press) The LDS Church is looking for DBA's. You must be LDS to apply (please don't write to me and tell me I'm breaking the law. A church can choose to hire members of it's own faith. Look it up if you don't believe me).

  • Original Message ---- From: Joe Smith <joe_dba_at_hotmail.com> To: oracle-l_at_freelists.org Sent: Friday, June 6, 2008 12:10:11 PM Subject: rman configuration

 Is it normal or best practice to snapshot the control file to disk even if the backup is going to tape?

The rman closed backup runs to tape with no problem , but I noticed that the snapshot of the control file goes to disk. Is this because it could not read it from tape?

Or should I reconfigure and state:

CONFIGURE SNAPSHOT CONTROLFILE NAME TO 'SBT_TAPE';         RMAN configuration parameters are:

CONFIGURE RETENTION POLICY TO REDUNDANCY 1; CONFIGURE BACKUP OPTIMIZATION OFF; # default CONFIGURE DEFAULT DEVICE TYPE TO 'SBT_TAPE'; CONFIGURE CONTROLFILE AUTOBACKUP ON;
CONFIGURE CONTROLFILE AUTOBACKUP FORMAT FOR DEVICE TYPE 'SBT_TAPE' TO 'control_%F'; configuration for SBT_TAPE channel 3 is ignored CONFIGURE CONTROLFILE AUTOBACKUP FORMAT FOR DEVICE TYPE DISK TO '%F'; # default CONFIGURE DEVICE TYPE 'SBT_TAPE' PARALLELISM 2 BACKUP TYPE TO BACKUPSET; CONFIGURE DEVICE TYPE DISK PARALLELISM 1 BACKUP TYPE TO BACKUPSET; # default CONFIGURE DATAFILE BACKUP COPIES FOR DEVICE TYPE SBT_TAPE TO 1; # default CONFIGURE DATAFILE BACKUP COPIES FOR DEVICE TYPE DISK TO 1; # default CONFIGURE ARCHIVELOG BACKUP COPIES FOR DEVICE TYPE SBT_TAPE TO 1; # default CONFIGURE ARCHIVELOG BACKUP COPIES FOR DEVICE TYPE DISK TO 1; # default

CONFIGURE CHANNEL 1 DEVICE TYPE 'SBT_TAPE' PARMS  'ENV=(TDPO_OPTFILE=/../tdpo.opt)' FORMAT   'bu.d%d.t%t.s%s.p%p' MAXPIECESIZE 2 G;
CONFIGURE CHANNEL 2 DEVICE TYPE 'SBT_TAPE' PARMS  'ENV=(TDPO_OPTFILE=/../tdpo.opt)' FORMAT   'bu.d%d.t%t.s%s.p%p' MAXPIECESIZE 2 G;
CONFIGURE CHANNEL 3 DEVICE TYPE 'SBT_TAPE' PARMS  'ENV=(TDPO_OPTFILE=/../tdpo.opt)' FORMAT   'bu.d%d.t%t.s%s.p%p' MAXPIECESIZE 2 G;
CONFIGURE MAXSETSIZE TO UNLIMITED; # default CONFIGURE ENCRYPTION FOR DATABASE OFF; # default CONFIGURE ENCRYPTION ALGORITHM 'AES128'; # default CONFIGURE ARCHIVELOG DELETION POLICY TO NONE; # default CONFIGURE SNAPSHOT CONTROLFILE NAME TO '$ORACLE_HOME/dbs/snapcf_orcl.f'; # default

Enjoy 5 GB of free, password-protected online storage. Get Windows Live SkyDrive.
--

http://www.freelists.org/webpage/oracle-l Received on Fri Jun 06 2008 - 16:05:52 CDT

Original text of this message