Re: rman configuration

From: David Barbour <david.barbour1_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 6 Jun 2008 16:51:36 -0400

Actually, it's used to provide a consistent view of the controlfile during RMAN sessions. Here's what TFM has to say:

Snapshot Control File RMAN generates a snapshot control file, which is a temporary
backup control file, each time it performs a full resynchronization. This snapshot
control file ensures that RMAN has a consistent view of the control file. Because the
snapshot control file is intended for RMAN's short-term use, it is not registered in
the recovery catalog. RMAN records the snapshot control file checkpoint in the
recovery catalog to indicate the currency of the recovery catalog. The Oracle9i server ensures that only one RMAN session accesses a snapshot control file at any point in time. This safeguard is necessary to ensure that two
RMAN sessions do not interfere with each other's use of the snapshot control file.

You can change the location and run a cron job to periodically clean them out.