Re: Certifications don't count!

From: Robert Freeman <robertgfreeman_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 6 Jun 2008 13:46:31 -0700 (PDT)

I assure you that if I had a candidate with an OCM cert on his resume, I'd notice. I could care less about OCA and an OCP is just another thing I'd consider, but much less so than an OCM.

Personally, my opinion is that a resume is not much anyway. It gives me some idea if the candidate can write, but in my experience the bad candidates over inflate work history and experience (and crash and burt in technical interviews) and very often, strangely, the good candidates under inflate their experience (maybe they have so much that they feel it's bragging? I don't know). Then there are those who are still steeped in the "One Page" resume... whoah people, please give me all of your experience!! I can generally smoke out a candidate technically in a phone interview in about 5 minutes or less. IMHO, that is where the winners beat out the losers for the most part.

Now, if I could just find a good DBA to come work for me (must be LDS - please, no emails about discrimination, it is perfectly legal because we are a Church!). We need people, NOW!

Cheers!

RF

 Robert G. Freeman
Author:
Oracle Database 11g New Features (Oracle Press) Portable DBA: Oracle (Oracle Press)
Oracle Database 10g New Features (Oracle Press) Oracle9i RMAN Backup and Recovery (Oracle Press) Oracle9i New Feature
Blog: http://robertgfreeman.blogspot.com (Oracle Press) The LDS Church needs DBA's NOW!

  • Original Message ---- From: Dennis Williams <oracledba.williams_at_gmail.com> To: Oracle-L Freelists <oracle-l_at_freelists.org> Sent: Friday, June 6, 2008 1:45:16 PM Subject: Certifications don't count!

List,

It's official - hiring managers consider the value of a certification to be lower than a few years ago.

http://www.eweek.com/c/a/Careers/IT-Certifications-Declining-in-Value/?kc=EWKNLEND060608STR1

Doesn't specifically mention Oracle. It does mention what a great deal certification is for the people who sell training.

Dennis Williams
--

http://www.freelists.org/webpage/oracle-l Received on Fri Jun 06 2008 - 15:46:31 CDT

Original text of this message