Re: Please help to debug strange execution plan

From: Jared Still <jkstill_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 6 Jun 2008 09:46:56 -0700

I'm not really up to speed on CTX, I've only worked with it occasionally.

On older versions of Oracle I believe you had to run a job to periodically maintain the CTX index. You may want to consult the documentation.

Do you know that 'tatort' appears in the CTX index?

Have you rebuilt/maintained the CTX index?

Perhaps someone with more experience in context indexes could jump in here.

On Fri, Jun 6, 2008 at 3:05 AM, Michael Seiwert <mseiwert_at_hbv.de> wrote:

> Yes, I think this the problem, but the question is why doesn't oracle
> choose this accespath.
>
> Best,
>
> Michael
>
> Jared Still schrieb:
>
> On Thu, Jun 5, 2008 at 2:53 AM, Michael Seiwert <mseiwert_at_hbv.de <mailto:
>> mseiwert_at_hbv.de>> wrote:
>>
>> Hi List,
>>
>> I have two identical queries which differ only in the search term
>> of the contains clause. Both queries produce completely different
>> execution plans and execution times.
>> If I run the the following query with searchterm 'spartacus' in
>> the contains clause the query executes within 2 seconds, if I run
>> the same query with searchterm 'tatort' the query returns in about
>> 20 minutes. Please see the attached explain plans for details.
>> Could you please help me to debug this as I want to understand
>> why oracle behaves how it behaves :-) I'll could provide more
>> information such as view definition, 10046, 10053 traces if needed.
>>

>> The spartacus query is using the domain index (CTX) while the tatort query
>> is not.
>>
>> Don't know if you noticed that bit or not, you didn't mention.
>>

>> --
>> Jared Still
>> Certifiable Oracle DBA and Part Time Perl Evangelist

Jared Still