Re: DataGuard Standby Database usage

From: Asif Momen <asif_oracle_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 1 Jun 2008 14:10:47 -0700 (PDT)

Hi

&gt;&gt; I am not sure if Oracle support would support this,

Oracle support does support this !!!

Regards

Asif Momen
http://momendba.blogspot.com

  • On Fri, 5/30/08, Howard Latham &lt;howard.latham_at_gmail.com&gt; wrote: From: Howard Latham &lt;howard.latham_at_gmail.com&gt; Subject: Re: DataGuard Standby Database usage To: koehned_at_gmail.com Cc: oracle-l_at_freelists.org Date: Friday, May 30, 2008, 10:50 AM

Dan that sounds Very useful thanks

On 30/05/2008, daniel koehne &lt;koehned_at_gmail.com&gt; wrote: I am not sure if Oracle support would support this, but after  activating our 10gR2 EE (10.2.0.3) databases for disaster recovery  testing we use the flashback database feature to restore the databases

 to being a physical standby database.

 Here is a brief overview of our steps:

  1. Make sure flashback is enabled and that your flashback area has enough space.
  2. create a flashback restore point. May want to look into a

 guaranteed restore point.

 3. activate 10gR2 EE database for testing.
 4. flashback database to restore point.
 5. ALTER DATABASE CONVERT TO PHYSICAL STANDBY;

 There are two small issues I have experienced using this method:

  1. database flashback uses archive logs. We use home grown data guard scripts to we need to use RMAN to catalog the archive logs before the db activate (i.e. rman with no catalog, then use catalog command). If

 not done flashback database command will complain about being unable  to find the required archive log files. This is more of a problem with  our large high-activity database.

 2. After flashback and convert to physical standby, the "recover

 standby database" command still looks for some archive log files from  the time the db was activated. We just create a new standby control  file using the primary db and this issue goes away.

 I hope someone finds this useful.

&nbsp;&nbsp; Daniel

Howard A. Latham