RE: Applying CPU to RAC with physical standby - a way forward?

From: S. Anthony Sequeira <tony_at_sequeira.org.uk>
Date: Sat, 31 May 2008 00:29:38 +0100

Hi,

I have received a couple of off list requests to update this, so here's the status so far.

Quite a bit of to and froing on this SR, but this is what we (well I did I guess) came up with in the end. Please note these is a skeleton plan, not detailed.

I should then recompile the views *after* running catcpu.

So I see the steps as follows (broadly) please confirm:

Defer log shipping
Rolling patch both nodes (opatch)
Patch standby (opatch)

Primary becomes unavailable now
Startup standby
Re-enable log shipping
Apply note (startup primary 'upgrade', Run catcpu) and the rest Post patch - Recompile views
Primary becomes available
Checks logs applied to standby and whatever.

I start tomorrow, outage Sunday in between batch runs.

I have another issue which I will start another thread for.

Regards.

--
S. Anthony Sequeira
++