Re: create table and create index monitor or nomonitor deprecated in 10g?

From: Wolfgang Breitling <breitliw_at_centrexcc.com>
Date: Fri, 30 May 2008 11:54:25 -0600

You can turn monitoring on or off, at least for tables, database wide or schema wide with dbms_stats.alter_database_tab_monitoring or alter_schema_tab_monitoring respectively.

As for ASMM, can anyone give me a good reason for using it?

At 11:22 AM 5/30/2008, Jared Still wrote:
>On Fri, May 30, 2008 at 9:17 AM, Yong Huang
><<mailto:yong321_at_yahoo.com>yong321_at_yahoo.com> wrote:
>Modification Monitoring: _dml_monitoring_enabled
>This 10g param allows you to do what you used to
>be able to do in 9i with alter
>table (no)monitoring, but not at table level any more; it's system wide either
>all monitoring or all nomonitoring. But I think it¡¯s still better to disable
>this parameter and leave statistics_level to typical than set statistics_level
>to basic when you want to disable table monitoring. Documentation writers must
>have a dilemma, though; they probably wish the first underscore were dropped.
>

>There's at least one exception.
>
>If you are stuck on <http://10.2.0.2>10.2.0.2
>(not allowed to upgrade) then you best not
>use ASMM, and have statistics_level = basic, as well as db_cache_advice=off.
>
>While benchmarking a <http://10.2.0.2>10.2.0.2
>database a nasty performance bug appeared.
>
>See ML 5918631.8 and 3452409.8 regarding waits on 'simulator lru latch'
>

>--
>Jared Still
>Certifiable Oracle DBA and Part Time Perl Evangelist

Regards

Wolfgang Breitling
Centrex Consulting Corporation
www.centrexcc.com