Re: diagnosing db link errors

From: <TESTAJ3_at_nationwide.com>
Date: Fri, 30 May 2008 08:43:43 -0400

can u ping the server?(making an assumption here that they allow ping), if that works, its not a network issue.

I have seen that error when implementing IP address allow/deny parm in protocol.ora (now in sqlnet.ora).

Thanks, Joe

You can have it: Fast, Right or Cheap, pick 2 of the 3. Fast + Right is Expensive
Fast + Cheap will be incorrect.
Right + Cheap will take a while.

"Rick Ricky" <ricks12345_at_gmail.com>

05/30/2008 08:36 AM
Please respond to ricks12345_at_gmail.com

From
"Rick Ricky" <ricks12345_at_gmail.com>

oracle-l_at_freelists.org
cc

Subject
diagnosing db link errors

Yesterday I have no problem using a database link. Today I am getting tns errors. I have no access to the DB server (its owned by a different vendor). I have to go through channels to contact them. Is there anything I can do to diagnose whether its a network issue or the database/server is down. This is the oracle error I got.

ERROR at line 1:
ORA-12560: TNS:protocol adapter error

tried tnsping and I could not reach the box. I don't have alot to go on, but I don't want to sit around and wait for a response.