Re: Overhead of table with empty partitions

From: Jonathan Lewis <>
Date: Wed, 28 May 2008 20:55:01 +0100

The effect will be version dependent, and query dependent. You may get unlucky on queries that cannot identify a single partition at optimisation time - leading Oracle to estimate a cardinality as the average cardinality implied by having 30 partitions (worst case "real cardinality / 30").

Jonathan Lewis

Author: Cost Based Oracle: Fundamentals

The Co-operative Oracle Users' FAQ

  • Original Message ----- From: "John Thompson" <> To: <> Sent: Wednesday, May 28, 2008 4:57 PM Subject: Overhead of table with empty partitions