Re: Applying CPU to RAC with physical standby

From: jason arneil <jason.arneil_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 28 May 2008 12:37:19 +0100

On 28 May 2008, at 10:46, S. Anthony Sequeira wrote:

> On Wed, 2008-05-28 at 10:58 +0200, Carel-Jan Engel wrote:
>> Are you trying to ask whether a rolling upgrade is possible?
>>
>> If so, the answer is NO.
>> Despite attempts from Oracle to redefine the meaning of 'rolling
>> upgrade', update a system without any downtime for the application is
>> not possible.
>
> Hi Carel-Jan,
>
> No I'm asking whether it's possible to apply the patch with at least
> one
> node servicing the database, as I did for the pre-production database,
> with a short downtime for the recompile views post-installation step.
> Unfortunately this doesn't seem possible with a standby database
> involved.

I think you should be OK to apply the catpatch.sql with the database up, the patch instructions are clear on that. I don't think having dataguard involved impacts on this, why should it? You must however start the database in upgrade mode to perform the view recompile - but you know this already!

At this stage I can't see how you can have a node open for business - except if you want to offer your users some read only activity, then you could use your standby read only while you were doing the view recompile.

This though is far removed from the marketing hype of "rolling upgrade".

jason.

--
http://jarneil.wordpress.com