Re: Question about TKPROF output.

From: Cary Millsap <cary.millsap_at_method-r.com>
Date: Tue, 20 May 2008 14:01:02 -0500

It's a good question. We've long said (e.g., p80 of *Optimizing Oracle Performance*) that the "disk" figure (which maps to the *p* statistic in the raw trace data) represents the number of Oracle database blocks obtained by the database call (in your case, a fetch) via operating system disk read calls.

But it's possible that it includes "direct path writes," too. I don't know the answer. A simple test is to run your query again, and this time in addition to using Oracle's extended SQL trace, use your operating system's strace tool, as well, upon your session's Oracle kernel process. In the strace output, you'll be able to see exactly how many blocks are being manipulated by OS calls, and you'll be able to see the mapping of that information to your tkprof output.

Cary Millsap
http://method-r.com
http://carymillsap.blogspot.com