RE: Oracle 10g upgrade with Workspace Manager

From: Stephens, Chris <chris_stephens_at_admworld.com>
Date: Fri, 16 May 2008 09:01:14 -0500

You have my sympathies.

OWM's functionality is extremely useful in certain situations but the feature is a major pain in the @#$! from and administrative perspective. We have experienced severe performance problems and while I don't consider myself proficient at tuning, some of the execution plans generated against version enabled tables would cause even the most seasoned professional to head for the bottle.

I had a similar situation. We consolidated a few development databases and I needed to move several application schemas including the version enabled schema into a new development database. Luckily the versions were the same and we didn't have to deal with availability issues. In the end I used datapump excluding the schema with version enabled tables to move most everything over. I then created the version enabled tables manually + the workspaces and scripted out the data migration using the OWM supplied export packages (dbms_wm.export + dbms_wm.import). You may be able to upgrade your OWM release in place in case the dbms_wm export and import procedures don't work between versions.

Of course it took me several iterations to get it all right and in the process discovered that dropping a schema with version enabled tables isn't the best idea in the world.

Good luck and may the force be with you.