RE: Deep Copy a Record

From: Mark W. Farnham <mwf_at_rsiz.com>
Date: Fri, 16 May 2008 07:19:23 -0400

I take it by "deep copy" you mean the object operation.

Any "deep copy" requires a defined constructor. The reasonable presumption on an Oracle list if you start talking about Department and Employees is that you are making a reference to the example database. In that context Department is a table, not a user defined object with a pre-defined "clone" constructor. In that context Mr. Bobak is exactly correct.

There is also a pretty long section in the Oracle manuals since 8.0 beta about what Oracle does and does not handle regarding objects defined in Oracle. If you want to define and manipulate objects natively in Oracle as opposed to in an object oriented programming language using an Oracle database for storage, look there for the release you're at. I don't know whether there are any experienced users of the native Oracle objects on this particular list.

As for enhancements, after you digest what is and is not there for objects defined in Oracle, there are defined enhancement processes available to the members of IOUG, OAUG, and ODTUG, and if you can join the Oracle Mix forum you can make suggestions there.

Regards,

mwf

From: Bobak, Mark [mailto:Mark.Bobak_at_proquest.com] Sent: Thursday, May 15, 2008 9:40 PM
To: Dixit, Sandeep; oracle-l_at_freelists.org Subject: RE: Deep Copy a Record