RE: Auto shutdown of Oracle for Windows reboot

From: Allen, Brandon <Brandon.Allen_at_OneNeck.com>
Date: Thu, 15 May 2008 13:54:25 -0700

Thanks Yong, that was a great idea and I was really hoping it was going to work, but still no luck. I tried all the following:

psexec -s -d net stop
psexec -s net stop
psexec -s sc stop
psexec -s shutdown /r

Unfortunately none of them successfully shutdown the Oracle services when running shutdown.exe even though they did run the commands as NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM according to the Windows Event Viewer.

When I ran "psexec -s shutdown /r" combined with the "sc stop" command in my script, I did get a little more output in the log file at least as you can see here:

Starting
Thu 05/15/2008
12:58 PM
[SC] OpenSCManager FAILED 1115:

A system shutdown is in progress.

[SC] OpenSCManager FAILED 1115:

A system shutdown is in progress.

[SC] OpenSCManager FAILED 1115:

A system shutdown is in progress.

Finished
Thu 05/15/2008
12:58 PM

So, it seems to indicate that even though my shutdown script is being executed, it's being executed *after* the shutdown has begun so its commands are prevented from running, compared to this output when I run the shutdown from the GUI and the "sc stop" commands successfully shut down the Oracle services gracefully as they're supposed to:

Starting
Thu 05/15/2008
01:38 PM

SERVICE_NAME: OracleDBConsolecsdprd

        TYPE               : 10  WIN32_OWN_PROCESS
        STATE              : 3  STOP_PENDING
                                (NOT_STOPPABLE, NOT_PAUSABLE,
IGNORES_SHUTDOWN))
        WIN32_EXIT_CODE    : 0  (0x0)
        SERVICE_EXIT_CODE  : 0  (0x0)
        CHECKPOINT         : 0x0
        WAIT_HINT          : 0x7530

SERVICE_NAME: OracleServiceCSDPRD
        TYPE               : 10  WIN32_OWN_PROCESS
        STATE              : 3  STOP_PENDING
                                (STOPPABLE, PAUSABLE, ACCEPTS_SHUTDOWN)
        WIN32_EXIT_CODE    : 0  (0x0)
        SERVICE_EXIT_CODE  : 0  (0x0)
        CHECKPOINT         : 0x1
        WAIT_HINT          : 0x493e0

SERVICE_NAME: OracleOraDb10g_home1TNSListener
        TYPE               : 10  WIN32_OWN_PROCESS
        STATE              : 3  STOP_PENDING
                                (STOPPABLE, NOT_PAUSABLE,
IGNORES_SHUTDOWN))
        WIN32_EXIT_CODE    : 0  (0x0)
        SERVICE_EXIT_CODE  : 0  (0x0)
        CHECKPOINT         : 0x1
        WAIT_HINT          : 0xfa0

Finished
Thu 05/15/2008
01:38 PM

It looks like a Windows bug to me. Someone else told me the net stop commands work for them via shutdown.exe, but they are running 32-bit Windows so maybe it's just a 64-bit bug since that's what I'm running here.

Thanks,
Brandon