Re: filesystemio_options setting

From: Finn Jorgensen <finn.oracledba_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 14 May 2008 15:54:48 -0400

> Directio and asyncio are commonly confused. Its my understanding that the >VxFS supports directio but not async, unless you have the ODM or QuickIO option$.

It is my understanding as well that VxFS does not support async IO (and I have verified this with truss on Solaris 9/10), but it does support DirectIO natively if filesystemio_options is set to either setall or directio. However, ODM and/or quickIO does not allow async IO. It's a way of allowing writes to the filesystem to act like it's writing to raw devices, which is effectively the same as directio. In my testing it's faster to use SETALL on Solaris and VxFS than to use ODM. Plus it's free :)

Async IO is never supported with VxFS, but is implemented somewhat through the LWP processes mentioned elsewhere in this thread. It's not necessarily a fast way of working with data depending on what your app is doing (e.g. I've tested writing LOB's through this method to be extremely slow in 10g on Solaris. SETALL fixed that problem).

As always, with these kinds of changes, it's best to do your own testing.

Finn