Re: Performance of MERGE INTO statement

From: Finn Jorgensen <>
Date: Wed, 14 May 2008 15:31:02 -0400

I'm not a warehouse expert, but I do know that frequent writes to tables with bitmap indexes on it is not a good idea (once a day is frequent in DW's). It causes the bitmap indexes to grow uncontrolably and become slow. From my understanding it is typical to rebuilt the bitmap indexes after a data load is complete, but when you load data that frequently that may not be an option.

Somebody with more DW experience may chime in here.