how do you handle your DDL builds?

From: Rick Ricky <>
Date: Wed, 14 May 2008 10:08:29 -0400

We have a production database. We want to change tables, structure, etc... We do this frequently. How do you script this? So far I have been using upgrade directories.

However, this leaves me with a problem. I can do an add column to a table in version1, but then I have to change my base DDL of the table, but how do I know that table works? Where would I test that my new create table statement works? You can do all this manually, but its slow, time consuming, and prone to bugs.