RE: help with a monthly rollup

From: Mercadante, Thomas F (LABOR) <>
Date: Tue, 13 May 2008 14:03:43 -0400

Did you see the "Last_day(date)" function?

[] On Behalf Of Rick Ricky Sent: Tuesday, May 13, 2008 1:45 PM
Subject: help with a monthly rollup

I need to rollup data by month.

There are a couple ways to do this.

I have a date field. So I can rollup with a to_char(mydate,'YYYYMM') this requires a where clause as followings where to_char(mydate,'YYYYMM') = pSomeMonth;

This means I need a function based index to support this. We have alot of data, so where possible, I want to avoid adding more indexes. Is there a way to calculate what the last
day of the month is?

so I can use a between as follows
where myDate between to_date(01-MON-YYYY') and to_date(LASTDAYOFMONTH-MON-YYYY')

Since the last day of the month can be