Re: general opinions of the new features in Oracle 11

From: Robert Freeman <robertgfreeman_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 12 May 2008 12:48:11 -0700 (PDT)

Thats a big question.... <shameless plug>My Oracle Press book Oracle Database 11g New Features looks at the features, tries them on for size and even gives you some of the experiences I had with them. Arup also provides some great commentary. </shameless plug>

I think that to date, the number of people who have really played with 11g in-depth are few. I would suspect that Q408 and on will see more people starting to look seriously at 11g.

A few of the features that have some good potential (ignoring the licensing issues):

Flashback Transaction
Flashback Archives
New Data Compression features
New partitioning features (interval partitioning in particular) Database Replay

Just to name a few.

Of course, since this is a new product, there are a number of bugs around.

RF

 Robert G. Freeman
Author:
Oracle Database 11g New Features (Oracle Press) Portable DBA: Oracle (Oracle Press)
Oracle Database 10g New Features (Oracle Press) Oracle9i RMAN Backup and Recovery (Oracle Press) Oracle9i New Feature
Blog: http://robertgfreeman.blogspot.com (Oracle Press)

  • Original Message ---- From: Rick Ricky <ricks12345_at_gmail.com> To: oracle-l_at_freelists.org Sent: Monday, May 12, 2008 11:53:58 AM Subject: general opinions of the new features in Oracle 11

Has anyone found the new features in Oracle 11 particularly useful? If so which ones have you used and how have you used them? I can read the new features guide, but I have not used it at work. I am curious about some real world experiences. Any features that you don't think live up to the hype?
--

http://www.freelists.org/webpage/oracle-l Received on Mon May 12 2008 - 14:48:11 CDT

Original text of this message