RE: another failed attempt at database independence

From: Goulet, Dick <richard.goulet_at_capgemini.com>
Date: Mon, 12 May 2008 12:10:10 -0400

"I think it's hilarious, but then being contract myself I won't be around to deal with the consequences"

Spoken as a true consultant!!

Dick Goulet / Capgemini
North America P&C / East Business Unit
Senior Oracle DBA / Hosting
Office: 508.573.1978 / Mobile: 508.742.5795 / www.capgemini.com Fax: 508.229.2019 / Email: richard.goulet_at_capgemini.com 45 Bartlett St. / Marlborough, MA 01752

Together: the Collaborative Business Experience

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org
[mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of William Robertson Sent: Friday, May 09, 2008 3:00 AM
To: oracle-l_at_freelists.org
Subject: Re: another failed attempt at database independence

We have a highly rated performance consultant where I currently work who is proposing to replace our albeit legacy Oracle/AutoSys system for batch processing financial data with what I believe he calls a Grid of Postgres Appliances passing XML via message queues. I keep hearing gems from colleagues who sit nearer to his desk (apparently he has just invented something called an Iterator, etc.) Needless to say, senior management see it as a low-maintenance price/performance silver bullet. I think it's hilarious, but then being contract myself I won't be around to deal with the consequences.

	From: kathy duret <katpopins21_at_yahoo.com>
	To: wbfergus_at_gmail.com
	Date: Wed, 7 May 2008 18:00:00 -0700 (PDT)

	Not just the government.

	We had EBS "expert" tell management we had to install mailx to
send email and attachments that 12i couldn't do it. I spent alot of time fixing Workflow and getting the email to work for our "expert implementators" then document the process for our "experts"

        Don't get me wrong, there are alot of good people out there.

        I blame management or decision makers for not checking their facts and living by buzzwords.

LOL! I had to do the same thing a few months ago.

Consultants could not get the workflow mailer to work.

I located the ML document with instructions to set it up, the doc is very well written and the
procedure is pretty simple.

When working through the doc, it became apparent why the mailer didn't work.

The consultants had typed in the example input, word for word!

Things like domain name: "mydomain.com"

I kid you not.

Needless to say, 10 minutes later it was all working.

--
Jared Still

Regards,
Srinivas Chintamani

This message contains information that may be privileged or confidential and is the property of the Capgemini Group. It is
intended only for the person to whom it is addressed. If you are not the intended recipient, you are not authorized to
read, print, retain, copy, disseminate, distribute, or use this message or any part thereof. If you receive this message