Re: Re: another failed attempt at database independence

From: kathy duret <katpopins21_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 10 May 2008 19:23:32 -0700 (PDT)

Here is the latest pearl of wisdom

  They want us to put in our Vendors in capitals and Employes in mixed case   so we can tell them apart.

  After I stopped laughing, I said we had these new things in the database called descriptions and flags and then went on to say... I often mixed up Briggs and Stratton for two employees that work for our company.

  After I saw they weren't laughing... I did explain why you want your vendors in mixed cases for reports.

  It just keeps getting better and better. I think I could supply Dilbert with about a year's worth of material from just this last two weeks along.

  Kathy

Robert Freeman <robertgfreeman_at_yahoo.com> wrote:

        GROAN!!!!!     Robert G. Freeman
Author:
Oracle Database 11g New Features (Oracle Press) Portable DBA: Oracle (Oracle Press)
Oracle Database 10g New Features (Oracle Press) Oracle9i RMAN Backup and Recovery (Oracle Press) Oracle9i New Feature
Blog: http://robertgfreeman.blogspot.com (Oracle Press)

  • Original Message ---- From: Jared Still <jkstill_at_gmail.com> To: katpopins21_at_yahoo.com Cc: oracle-l_at_freelists.org Sent: Thursday, May 8, 2008 10:54:01 AM Subject: Re: Re: another failed attempt at database independence
    • Forwarded message ---------- From: kathy duret <katpopins21_at_yahoo.com> To: wbfergus_at_gmail.com Date: Wed, 7 May 2008 18:00:00 -0700 (PDT) Subject: Re: another failed attempt at database independence Not just the government.

  We had EBS "expert" tell management we had to install mailx to send email and attachments that 12i couldn't do it. I spent alot of time fixing Workflow and getting the email to work for our "expert implementators" then document the process for our "experts"

  Don't get me wrong, there are alot of good people out there.   I blame management or decision makers for not checking their facts and living by buzzwords.

LOL! I had to do the same thing a few months ago.

Consultants could not get the workflow mailer to work.

I located the ML document with instructions to set it up, the doc is very well written and the procedure is pretty simple.

When working through the doc, it became apparent why the mailer didn't work.

The consultants had typed in the example input, word for word!

Things like domain name: "mydomain.com"

I kid you not.

Needless to say, 10 minutes later it was all working.

--

Jared Still

http://www.freelists.org/webpage/oracle-l Received on Sat May 10 2008 - 21:23:32 CDT

Original text of this message