Re: does oracle use block level locking with RAC?

From: Mark Brinsmead <pythianbrinsmead_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 9 May 2008 20:01:24 -0600

Hmmm... I have not really worked with RAC since it was called "OPS", so I may be mistaken here, and will be perfectly happy to be corrected if I am.

It seems to me, though, that we are talking about very different *kinds* of locks here, and in so doing we may be giving some people the wrong idea.

The "row-level" locks begin discussed are *transaction* locks -- the locks are held for the duration of an entire transaction, until it either COMMITs or does a ROLLBACK. Transactions can last indefinitely, and these locks can therefore be held indefinitely. More important, a single transaction may require multiple row lows -- these two features together make row-level transaction locks susceptible to deadlocks.

Unless I am mistaken, though, the "block-level" locks used by RAC to maintain cache coherency are really more of a MUTEX operation. They are meant to serialize (write) access to a given block of data, but they are short-lived and -- more important -- independent of one another. These locks are held (with lots of simplification, I am sure) for only as long as it takes to complete a (logical) IO, and then are released automatically. So long as a given session (thread) cannot *hold* one gc buffer lock (indefinitely) while being blocked by another (I cannot imagine how this * could* be) then these locks are *not* susceptible to deadlocks.

Cross-instance buffer locking can certainly have a strong influence on performance, but it should not lead to transaction deadlocks. These locks should lead to deadlocks only very rarely, and only (?) in the case of a bug. Right?

Cheers,
-- Mark Brinsmead
Senior DBA,
The Pythian Group