RE: does oracle use block level locking with RAC?

From: Ric Van Dyke <ric.van.dyke_at_hotsos.com>
Date: Fri, 9 May 2008 13:51:49 -0500

There are locks and then there are locks.

Your right Oracle locks ROWs not blocks. However, when in RAC only one instance "owns" the block at a given time. I forget all the techno garble to describe the mechanism right now but when another instance wants to change a block it requests to be the owner of that block if it isn't at the time the change is being made. So it sure seems like a lock because you can't access the block until you own it. But it's not a lock in the sense that most of us think of a lock. Is that confusing enough? :-)

Ric Van Dyke

Hotsos Enterprises

Hotsos Symposium 2009 dedicated to performance and nothing but performance

March 8 - 12, 2009 in Dallas, Texas

Be there.

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org
[mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Rick Ricky Sent: Friday, May 09, 2008 2:39 PM
To: oracle-l_at_freelists.org
Subject: does oracle use block level locking with RAC?

I saw on a board somewhere that someone is having deadlock issues due to block level locking with Oracle RAC? I thought Oracle always did row level locking on everything? Could this be a mis-perception with something else?