Re: Re: another failed attempt at database independence

From: kathy duret <katpopins21_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 9 May 2008 09:42:42 -0700 (PDT)

I think people have nailed it on the head acouple of times.

  1. Key Technical/Business people are included in the decision making process
  2. Good sales pitches by bad companies.
  3. Not checking the references and resumes of people you bring in
  4. Writing a clear statement of work and expectations.
  5. When hiring a group and certain individuals performance lack - ask for a replacement.
  6. Questioning what, how, why, what you are doing
  7. Check the progress

Srinivas Chintamani <srinivas.chintamani_at_gmail.com> wrote:   Hi All,
When a lot of people feel the consultants don't put in quality work, why is it that they are still hired and paid exorbitant amounts?

-Srinivas.

  On Thu, May 8, 2008 at 10:24 PM, Jared Still <jkstill_at_gmail.com> wrote:

  • Forwarded message ---------- From: kathy duret <katpopins21_at_yahoo.com> To: wbfergus_at_gmail.com Date: Wed, 7 May 2008 18:00:00 -0700 (PDT) Subject: Re: another failed attempt at database independence

  Not just the government.

  We had EBS "expert" tell management we had to install mailx to send email and attachments that 12i couldn't do it. I spent alot of time fixing Workflow and getting the email to work for our "expert implementators" then document the process for our "experts"

  Don't get me wrong, there are alot of good people out there.   I blame management or decision makers for not checking their facts and living by buzzwords.

LOL! I had to do the same thing a few months ago.

Consultants could not get the workflow mailer to work.

I located the ML document with instructions to set it up, the doc is very well written and the procedure is pretty simple.

When working through the doc, it became apparent why the mailer didn't work.

The consultants had typed in the example input, word for word!

Things like domain name: "mydomain.com"

I kid you not.

Needless to say, 10 minutes later it was all working.

--

Jared Still

Regards,
Srinivas Chintamani