Re: Does Oracle change the case of passwords when shipping to a standby db

From: <TESTAJ3_at_nationwide.com>
Date: Fri, 9 May 2008 05:45:33 -0400

Well thats interesting since I knew mixed case passwords are allowed in 11g, although I've not had a chance to test it yet. Sounds like to me someone missed a (upper) function in the source code somewhere.

joe

You can have it: Fast, Right or Cheap, pick 2 of the 3. Fast + Right is Expensive
Fast + Cheap will be incorrect.
Right + Cheap will take a while.

"John Hallas" <john.hallas_at_bjss.co.uk>

05/09/2008 05:38 AM
Please respond to john.hallas_at_bjss.co.uk

From
"John Hallas" <john.hallas_at_bjss.co.uk>
<oracle-l_at_freelists.org>
cc

Subject
Does Oracle change the case of passwords when shipping to a standby db

OEL Linux 11.1.0.6

I have a orapwd file set up on both databases and have restarted the databases since I re-created the orapw file. I can connect using ‘sqlplus sys/password_at_tnsnames_alias as sysdba’ between both nodes and the sys password is the same on both nodes. However archived redo logs files were not shipping across to the standby node and I was pulling my hair out struggling to get it to work.

Error messages were :-

  • 2008-05-09 09:44:43.898 Redo shipping client performing standby login OCISessionBegin failed. Error -1 .. Detailed OCI error val is 1031 and errmsg is 'ORA-01031: insufficient privileges
    '
    An attempt to establish secure session using password verifier based approach will be attempted.. OCISessionBegin failed. Error -1 .. Detailed OCI error val is 1031 and errmsg is 'ORA-01031: insufficient privileges
    '
    An attempt to establish secure session using password verifier based approach will be attempted.. OCISessionBegin failed -1 .. Detailed OCI error val is 1017 and errmsg is 'ORA-01017: invalid username/password; logon denied
    '
  • 2008-05-09 09:44:44.127 1095 krsh.c Error 1017 received logging on to the standby
    Check that the primary and standby are using a password file and remote_login_passwordfile is set to SHARED or EXCLUSIVE, and that the SYS password is same in the password files. returning error ORA-16191

The passwords were lowercase on both nodes. In fact I was using a cut’n’paste to create both password files, only replacing the node name. Eventually I fixed the problem by re-creating the password files on both nodes (for the 3rd or 4th time) and restarting the databases. I added the parameter ignorecase=y and everything sprung to life.

This gets me to think that the password was being translated to uppercase when it came across to the remote node. I am happy to have fixed my problem but I am bugged that it took me so long to figure it out. Anybody got any theories on case sensitivity using standby databases and password files

Thanks

John

www.jhdba.wordpress.com

+44 (0)113 223 2274 (direct)
+44 (0)113 297 9797

The information included in this email and any files transmitted with it may contain information that is confidential and it must not be used by, or its contents or attachments copied or disclosed, to persons other than the intended addressee. If you have received this email in error, please notify BJSS.
In the absence of written agreement to the contrary BJSS’ relevant standard terms of contract for any work to be undertaken will apply. Please carry out virus or such other checks as you consider appropriate in respect of this email. BJSS do not accept responsibility for any adverse effect upon your system or data in relation to this email or any files transmitted with it.
BJSS Limited, a company registered in England and Wales (Company Number 2777575), VAT Registration Number 613295452, Registered Office Address, First Floor, Coronet House, Queen Street, Leeds, LS1 2TW