RE: Detecting xxx fragmentation/corruption?

From: Mark W. Farnham <mwf_at_rsiz.com>
Date: Thu, 8 May 2008 15:19:16 -0400

*cough* sys.source$ is the table containing the source of the stored procedures. This can get quite large for some applications installations.

Most folks usually view it as dba_source, user_source, or all_source.

dba_segments tells you where things take up space permanently.

You can get a pretty good idea of where the used storage goes in your database by

select segment_type,count(*),sum(bytes) from dba_segments group by segment_type;

Toss an owner on and you can break it out by owner - etc.

Free space is a little funky to break out. The view is still dba_free_space, but select the text column from dba_views if you want to see where the components of free space live.

Now - if some block does not appear on either list it is "lost" but I haven't seen that in a *long* time. And the last time I saw blocks on both lists was an early release of parallel index build (7.0.x or 7.1.x, can't remember - that was messy...)

Regards,

mwf