Re: another failed attempt at database independence

From: Gints Plivna <gints.plivna_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 8 May 2008 10:27:34 +0300

I don't know the exact process for DoD and in USA as such but assuming it is more or less the same as here theoretically it should be OK. DoD or whatever else governmental agency needs something. They set their requirements and wait for offers explaining how to do that and how it costs and then choose the cheapest one satisfying requirements. Of course in reality there are many caveats in decision process for example requirements are too open, decision process is not completely determined, offer evaluators are simply too stupid to evaluate them properly etc. After the decision has been made there are some opportunities also to mess it all up: including some new requirements, excluding some old, making some changes in budget usually no more than 10% of original budget, and the main problem for governmental agency people is the feeling that it is not money from their pockets, it is tax-payers money i.e. everybody's money which effectively reduces to nobody's money. So in the hands of careless, stupid and/or "determined to spend money for friendly private organization" governmental managers this process of course can be ruined as well as most probably every other process.

Gints Plivna
http://www.gplivna.eu