Fwd: Re: another failed attempt at database independence

From: kathy duret <katpopins21_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 7 May 2008 18:02:01 -0700 (PDT)

Note: forwarded message attached.

attached mail follows:

Not just the government.

  I have redesigned alot of systems and databases built by "experts"   These "experts" do a great sales job to get in the door

  I just did a reinstall of a Oracle Portal that our over priced experts (4 of them in and out) were supposed to do and it never got off the ground and they still paid them.

  What really gets me though, is no one checks the expert references or the "experts" facts.

  We had EBS "expert" tell management we had to install mailx to send email and attachments that 12i couldn't do it. I spent alot of time fixing Workflow and getting the email to work for our "expert implementators" then document the process for our "experts"

  Don't get me wrong, there are alot of good people out there.   I blame management or decision makers for not checking their facts and living by buzzwords.

  There I vented....

  Kathy

Bill Ferguson <wbfergus_at_gmail.com> wrote:   I work for the government, and stories like this don't faze me at all. You should see some of the totally screwed up databases the government has.

Many are designed by people who know nothing about databases, so those are "almost" forgivable. The ones that really irk me are the ones designed by contractors or government IT workers that are completely trash.

http://www.freelists.org/webpage/oracle-l Received on Wed May 07 2008 - 20:02:01 CDT

Original text of this message