Re: another failed attempt at database independence

From: Daniel Fink <daniel.fink_at_optimaldba.com>
Date: Wed, 07 May 2008 15:27:17 -0600

I don't think this is a "government low bid" issue as I have seen this occur quite often in the private sector (it's just that the private sector can keep these issues quiet). Poor design and development, inadequate testing and problematic support are far too common. IT is still a very immature industry/discipline (and seems to be getting worse) and management looks upon products/projects like a new version of Office...not realizing the tens/hundreds of thousands (millions?) of hours that went into it. There has to be a fundamental shift in IT with management/business support....but I won't be holding my breath waiting for it to happen.

Daniel Fink

--
Daniel Fink

Oracle Performance, Diagnosis, Data Recovery and Training

OptimalDBA    http://www.optimaldba.com
Oracle Blog   http://optimaldba.blogspot.com

Lost Data?    http://www.ora600.nl/introduction.htm