RAC and Data Guard Configuration Question

From: Chris Dunscombe <chris.dunscombe_at_christallize.com>
Date: Wed, 07 May 2008 08:57:38 +0100

Hi,

I'm at a site where we're looking at setting up DataGuard as DR for a RAC system.
The config for production is:

  • 6 Nodes (Dell 2950 servers)
  • 1 instance per node
  • Windows Server 2003
  • 10.2.0.2
  • SAP is the application

On the DR site we only have 3 nodes, we'd like 6 but 3 is all that we're going to get.

The question is should we configure DR to have 1 instance per node (same as production) but this leaves only a total of 3 instances and hence 3 redundant UNDO tablespaces etc or have 2 instances per node?

Also is it best practice to have the instance names on DR the same as in production.

Any experiences, advice, "best practice" etc. for this is most welcome.

Thanks very much,

Chris

Chris Dunscombe

Christallize Ltd
www.christallize.com

Tel: 01903-714200
Mob: 07906-941850
Email: chris.dunscombe_at_christallize.com