Re: Documentation for HHWM and LHWM?

From: goran bogdanovic <goran00_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 6 May 2008 17:29:05 +0200

hi,

It has to do with how oracle process new allocated blocks. In case when hwm is moved forward, oracle does not immediately format all of the 'new' blocks allocated...oracle make it on their first use. This means, when full reading a segment, oracle somehow need to know if this blocks are formatted and eligible to be read or not...means nothing interesting in them. For that purpose there is low hwm and hwm (or hhwm). For all the blocks which are between low hwm and hwm, when full scanning a segment, oracle have to check assm bitmap block to see which blocks can be read and which can be skipped.

hth,
goran