RE: Time outs which may not be SQL

From: Kline.Michael <Michael.Kline_at_SunTrust.com>
Date: Tue, 6 May 2008 09:31:02 -0400

Got more info on this: (I didn't do a find, but Network/admin didn't have a sqlnet.ora on the database side.

The connection data...
UID=applasn... DB... (DESCRIPTION = (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = 10.5.70.44)(PORT = 1521)) (CONNECT_DATA = (SERVER = DEDICATED) (SERVICE_NAME = asnq.domain.com)))

About the sqlnet.ora... Yes, there is one. It resides at: /u001/app/oracle/10.2.0/network/admin/sqlnet.ora. The contents are... NAMES.DEFAULT_DOMAIN = domain.com
SQLNET.AUTHENTICATION_SERVICES= (NTS)
NAMES.DIRECTORY_PATH= (TNSNAMES, EZCONNECT)     Michael Kline
Database Administration
Outside 804.261.9446
BlackBerry: 804.517.7443

From: Mark Brinsmead [mailto:pythianbrinsmead_at_gmail.com] Sent: Wednesday, April 30, 2008 10:09 PM To: Kline.Michael
Cc: oracle-l_at_freelists.org
Subject: Re: Time outs which may not be SQL

Can we see the SQLNET.ORA for the database server and client, please.

On Wed, Apr 30, 2008 at 9:12 AM, Kline.Michael <Michael.Kline_at_suntrust.com> wrote:
We have a large test running for a client. It appears ALL DB connects time out in 12 hours and 20 minutes. There isn't any sqlnet.ora file on the database server.

What we have:

HP/UX B.11.11 U 9000/800

Connected to:
Oracle Database 10g Enterprise Edition Release 10.2.0.1.0 - 64bit Production
With the Partitioning, OLAP and Data Mining options This is on the GA016d99 server as the database server. The application server is GA016A0G1.

We have connections timing out in roughly 12 hours 20 minutes.

So to further clarify the situation, we had nohup sql routines that would sleep for 5 minutes and request something. We also had 6 hours and rerun to test that, and one that would wait for the 12 hours and 20 minutes and rerun.

We expected it to only time out the one over 12 hours, but ALL of them got canceled.

That makes me think it is probably the Unix, or the network that just doesn't allow connections to exist over that period of time.

Where do we start?

Michael Kline
804.261.9446

LEGAL DISCLAIMER
The information transmitted is intended solely for the individual or entity to which it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged material. Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of or taking action in reliance upon this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you have received this email in error please contact the sender and delete the material from any computer.

SunTrust and Seeing beyond money are federally registered service marks of SunTrust Banks, Inc.
[ST:XCL]
--

Cheers,
-- Mark Brinsmead