RE: Oracle out the door

From: Goulet, Dick <>
Date: Mon, 5 May 2008 11:47:30 -0400

Attitudes like that often cause people to walk out the door, which makes for major problems elsewhere, like trying to replace a complete IT department.

HUMM, sounds like more work for people like me!!

Dick Goulet / Capgemini
North America P&C / East Business Unit
Senior Oracle DBA / Hosting
Office: 508.573.1978 / Mobile: 508.742.5795 / Fax: 508.229.2019 / Email: 45 Bartlett St. / Marlborough, MA 01752

Together: the Collaborative Business Experience

[] On Behalf Of dba1 mcc Sent: Wednesday, April 30, 2008 10:08 AM To:; Subject: Re: Oracle out the door

O.K. Upper level management may NOT care what kind of problem on SQL Server.
My boss always say: I make decision and you fix problem.

Rich Jesse <> wrote:

Having added SQL Server 2K/2K5 to my resume in the past year I can offer a
SQL Server hit list for the seasoned Oracle DBA:

  1. Regular rebuilding of indexes and reclaiming space.
  2. Temp "result" tables are the norm for programming.
  3. Escalating Blocking Lock City!
  4. Cursors are evil here.
  5. Troubleshooting is easy: Reboot
  6. A hier-WHO-cical query???
  7. Indexes mixed in with table pages ("Charlie Foxtrot" in military jargon)
  8. Corrupted pages ("blocks" to the Ora DBA).
  9. Everything should be in "dbo", right?
  10. Welcome to 1990!

Upper management probably won't care about any of this until it's too late.
At least shoot for EnterpriseDB (paid PostgreSQL) -- they're specifically
targeting installed Oracle bases.

> The new CIO at my current employer brings a lot of preternatural hate
> for Oracle licensing as well. So much so that the upcoming data
> warehouse project for our Oracle OLTP instance is slated to be on SQL
> Server.
> On Tue, Apr 29, 2008 at 1:39 PM, John Thompson wrote:
>> Company I work for just announced that we're going to convert all but
2 of
>> our 89 Oracle databases to either SQL Server, MYSQL, or PostgreSQL.
>> is due to the high licensing cost. I'm bummed.
> --
> Don Seiler

it now.

This message contains information that may be privileged or confidential and is the property of the Capgemini Group. It is
intended only for the person to whom it is addressed. If you are not the intended recipient, you are not authorized to
read, print, retain, copy, disseminate, distribute, or use this message or any part thereof. If you receive this message