RE: Data Guard to Logical Standby

From: April Sims <sims_at_suu.edu>
Date: Thu, 01 May 2008 13:38:06 -0600

Comments within.

April Sims
SELECT IOUG Contributing Editor
http://aprilcsims.wordpress.com
OCP 8i, 9i, 10g DBA
Southern Utah University
sims_at_suu.edu
940-484-4276

>>> "April Wells" <awells_at_netspend.com> 5/1/2008 2:25 PM >>>
Okay... I'll buy that.

However...

On the logical standby, can I create users that are not in the primary database? I'm trying to multi-purpose this database rather than "just" being a transformation database between solaris source and linux destination by keeping historical data and giving us an alternative place to run some batch reporting. But I don't want to rely on the fact that the data and structures are all representative of the up stream primary.

*****The trick to guard only the tables that are coming from the primary database. That is done with the commandalter
 database guard standby;

Then you can create tablespaces, users,materialized views,indexes etc specific to the logical standby which are not on the primary.

Or am I stuck with "just" having the ability to structure the whole database as if it were the primary?

April

From: Howard Latham [mailto:howard.latham_at_gmail.com] Sent: Thursday, May 01, 2008 2:09 PM
To: April Wells
Cc: oracle-l_at_freelists.org
Subject: Re: Data Guard to Logical Standby

AFAIK
All it does is ship the logs from one db (target) to another (standby) You cant filter anything.

2008/5/1 April Wells <awells_at_netspend.com>:

We are trying to create a logical standby database (solaris) using data guard so we can use downstream data capture to populate a reporting database (Linux) for historical reporting.

Any chance anyone has done this and can give me some pointers on what I'm probably going to do wrong?

Can I set rules up stream on the source database on what tables I don't want to have included in the data guard log apply or will it just apply everything? I'm trying to tough my way through the documentation, and am stuck at the "uniquely identify rows" part. It seems that EVERYONE on the source system has a plan table and that doesn't have a primary key. Do I care? Will it complain?

Should I create a primary key rely disabled on ALL of those plan tables?

Thanks for any advice

April

Confidentiality Notice!
This electronic transmission and any attached documents or other writings are confidential and are for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) identified above. This message may contain information that is privileged, confidential or otherwise protected from disclosure under applicable law. If the receiver of this information is not the intended recipient, or the employee, or agent responsible for delivering the information to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any use, reading, dissemination, distribution, copying or storage of this information is strictly prohibited. If you have received this information in error, please notify the sender by return email and delete the electronic transmission, including all attachments from your system.

--
Howard A. Latham