RE: Oracle out the door

From: Matthew Zito <mzito_at_gridapp.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2008 16:29:25 -0400

Not so small, due to the way SE is licensed - SE is *per socket*, not "per cpu", so you can get four of the nice new quad-core processors and max those out and get a fair bit of performance from even a two node setup. Of course, you lose the various EE options, but everything is a tradeoff.

If you're really concerned about Oracle licensing as well, you could always have multiple two-node SE clusters and partition your data across them (I understand this is ugly and requires a lot of effort, but if your primary concern is staying on Oracle while minimizing licensing costs, this is an option). I know of one very large oracle shop that does this - they have in the low hundreds of RAC SE clusters (according to them, I have not independently verified this).

Matt

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org
[mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Jeremy Schneider

  I can't imagine that you need to be paying those extra tens of thousands of dollars for RAC; won't the extra licensing and maintenance costs of RAC come out about the same as those three servers your eliminating?