Re: to hyperhread or not

From: Jeremy Schneider <jeremy.schneider_at_ardentperf.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2008 10:52:49 -0400

Essentially hyperthreading just moves some of the task switching into the CPU hardware instead of OS code - in theory it saves you a few cycles and gives a small amount of speedup. As far as how effective it actually is, you might look for articles at places like cpuplanet, tomshardware, arstechnica, etc. Personally I've used it on many servers without any problems and don't see any reason not to use it.

I did some [very] basic testing awhile ago to see how linux's O(1) scheduler (in RHEL4) dealt with hyperthreading:
http://www.ardentperf.com/2007/06/21/monitoring-oracle-on-smp-with-hyper-threading/

-Jeremy

--
Jeremy Schneider