RE: Oracle out the door

From: kathy duret <katpopins21_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2008 20:35:39 -0700 (PDT)

Here, Here... you don't just flip a switch to go to another database.

  Besides the already mentioned, see if you can consolidate oracle databases.   I have my rman catalog combined with the databases I needed for BMC Patrol.   Patrol uses it during the day and Rman at night. It is a beautiful thing.   Documenting what is where is the key. And a good schema naming convention.

  Going from EE to SE if you can.

  Are you running with more cpus than you need to? You might have a small database running against 4 cpus, and you only need two?

  Also check out our CSIs. Sometimes you can combined them if you have several and end up better.

  If you are on Linux also check out buying the support for 3 years instead renewing each year. If memory serves me correctly you get about 6 months free

  If some of the databases are repositories and just that you maybe paying for databases you don't need to license.

  You should get an Oracle rep on the phone and explain the situation and go over all your situation and explain that your company is looking to switch and you need some help to pull the costs in line. Of course this also works best at the end of the quarter or right before Oracle Year End which is November.....

  Good Luck...

  Kathy

"Brady, Mark" <Mark.Brady_at_Constellation.Com> wrote:

        v\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);}  o\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);}  w\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);}  .shape {behavior:url(#default#VML);}                Let us know if the plan stays the same after they do the first application conversion.

---------------------------------

  From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org [mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Howard Latham Sent: Tuesday, April 29, 2008 3:32 PM
To: jhthomp_at_gmail.com
Cc: oracle-l_at_freelists.org
Subject: Re: Oracle out the door

    I would take the cross training then dont be suprised if they get problems. Some apps just use the database

    as a repository I guess they will be alright.

 But anything that exploits the power of Oracle will need a rewrite or a rethink.

    2008/4/29 John Thompson <jhthomp_at_gmail.com>:   Company I work for just announced that we're going to convert all but 2 of our 89 Oracle databases to either SQL Server, MYSQL, or PostgreSQL. This is due to the high licensing cost. I'm bummed.

--
Howard A. Latham

--------------------------------- Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Yahoo! Mobile. Try it now. -- http://www.freelists.org/webpage/oracle-l