Re: RAC

From: Sanjay Mishra <smishra_97_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2008 17:31:13 -0700 (PDT)

Jeremy

Thanks for the quich update. I was reading one of the Oracle Cookbook for RAC written by IBM/Oracle team for AIX and they mentioned to not to change the dbname with Instance Name. We are not using other scripts like dbstart etc in RAC to stop or start the db. Ofcourse oraenv is one script that can be used especially if it has more Database instances and Oracle Home. This is the reason I am confused on the setting as why the bok recommend to use dbname instead of instance name. Dbca has added dbname instead of instance name.

TIA
Sanjay

  • Original Message ---- From: Jeremy Schneider <jeremy.schneider_at_ardentperf.com> To: smishra_97_at_yahoo.com Cc: oracle-l_at_freelists.org Sent: Tuesday, April 29, 2008 7:35:07 PM Subject: Re: RAC

instance name ~ I can't think of any reason you'd use dbname. oratab is used by oraenv, dbstart and dbshut. it's also often used by shell scripts or to quickly check what ORACLE_HOME's are installed. (although the inventory can do this too, slightly better.)

-Jeremy

On Tue, Apr 29, 2008 at 6:29 PM, Sanjay Mishra <smishra_97_at_yahoo.com> wrote:

Hi

I had a query concerning oratab. Do we need to have dbname or instance name in it and what is the benefit of using one over the other. I know that if I want to use oraenv, i need to make it insance name. What are the drawback of changing the default dbname to instance name.

TIA
Sanjay

Jeremy Schneider
Chicago, IL