Oracle 11g CRS, RAC and ASM on Solaris

From: Lawie, Duncan <>
Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2008 13:39:00 +0100

I am currently reviewing options for Oracle 11 RAC on Solaris 10 and one of the proposals on the table is:

  • Use CRS as the only clusterware on the box
  • Use ASM for database (clustered) storage
  • Use Veritas VxFS on VxVM for (non-clustered) filesystems.

Has anyone else had experience with a similar set-up? If not, what do you use for RAC on Solaris?

I have seen SFRAC for cluster and storage on Oracle 10, but it seemed to disolve into cross-department finger pointing as soon as there was an issue with the cluster, the network or the storage. (Also, I understand it's not certified for 11g yet.)

Your thoughts appreciated.

Duncan Lawie
Database Engineering - Oracle
+44 (0)20 788 3 9229