Re: 'buffer busy waits' on Header Block (#2) of Tempfile

From: Stephane Faroult <sfaroult_at_roughsea.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2008 15:08:19 +0200

Hemant,

    Have you any idea about the queries that are using temporary storage? A query such as this might help:

break on blocks on segtype
select s.BLOCKS, s.SEGTYPE, t.SQL_TEXT
from (select sum(blocks) blocks,

             segtype,
             sqladdr,
             sqlhash
      from v$tempseg_usage
      group by sqladdr,
               sqlhash,
               segtype) s,
     v$sqltext t

where t.address = s.sqladdr
  and t.hash_value = s.sqlhash
order by s.blocks desc,
         t.hash_value,
         t.piece

/
clear col
clear breaks

I find it surprising, on what is obviously an OLTP system, to find so many sessions performing sorts (or hash joins) on disk. It may be something as simple as a missing or poorly designed index.

Stéphane Faroult