Re: Is it possible to add existing datafiles to an oracle database?

From: Hemant K Chitale <>
Date: Sat, 26 Apr 2008 16:07:34 +0800

"Just take a backup, ...."
Even in Oracle it is very easy . You need to know which files to backup. However, I believe that you had posted this on as well. You had a datafile where the filesize in the header doesn't match the size on the filesystem -- possibly an instance abort / server failure while the file was
being resized.

At 09:31 PM Friday, Srinivas Chintamani wrote:
>The crashed database is deleted now and I only have the datafiles of
>the crashed database somewhere on my filesystem. What I am trying
>to do is to find out if, it is possible to load the data from the
>datafiles of the crashed database into another new database.
>Earlier when working with SQL Server, it was simple to backup /
>restore the db. Just take a backup, dump the backup file anywhere
>on the filesystem and point to SQL Server, where the backup file is
>at and it happily recovered the db, all in a few seconds.
>Wonder why restoring an oracle db is such a pain ...

Hemant K Chitale

"A 'No' uttered from the deepest conviction is better than a 'Yes' merely uttered to please, or worse, to avoid trouble." Mohandas Gandhi Quotes