Re: why do I need dbcontrol?

From: David Barbour <david.barbour1_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2008 12:02:51 -0400

I think the answer to "Why" is up to you.

What does DB Control do for you that allows you to give better service to your customers?

If you've got Enterprise Edition, you might want to consider setting up Grid Control. I've been running Grid on "throw-away" Intel boxes for some time. Just recently able to get a 16GB RAM 2-processor dual-core 64bit box that was retired (because it wasn't "robust" enough for the Windows IIS application they had running). Using the Linux download from Oracle. Previously I had it on a 32-bit box with 2GB of RAM and it ran okay. Not really stellar, but it did what I needed it to do which was provide another source for monitoring and notification. I'm still a command line dinosaur, and have scripts that redundantly monitor the major pain points I might encounter, but I'm really getting to like GC. Good quick overview. I've put all my production DBs into one report that I can look at several times a day which saves me logging into every server and poking around. Experimenting with provisioning now.

Nice thing about GC is that it uses an agent, so the webserver isn't running on every box. The agent can be (and is in my case) made to communicate with the GC server in secure mode so I'm not locking down web servers on every box.