Re: Is it possible to add existing datafiles to an oracle database?

From: David Barbour <david.barbour1_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2008 10:22:41 -0400

Gee - I'm not sure what I can add to this with the exception that you are very lucky this is a development database and not production. Since that's the case, you ought to take the opportunity to practice your recovery techniques. I really don't know if you have a recoverable database or not, but I suspect, if you've got a full filesystem copy of all the datafiles, you might have a shot at it if you approach it correctly. Do you have access to Metalink and/or Oracle Support? If so, you might want to put in a service request and look through the notes. Additionally, you need to look at the backup and recovery documentation. Since we don't know what version of Oracle you're using, or anything else, go to tahiti.com and find the documentation for the version you're using. Then come up with a plan and post it here for more input.

It might have been a good idea to ask for help before you decided to "delete" the database.