IPC vs TCP

From: Jared Still <jkstill_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2008 13:50:52 -0700

Env:

Linux 2.6. on Intel
Oracle 10.2.0.3

In the past I have been led to believe (without much proof) that when connecting
to a database on the local server, that IPC should always be used to avoid the
performance hit of going through the TCP stack.

Using a modified version of Tom Kyte's run_stats that allows for collecting stats from two different sessions, some minimal testing seems to indicate there is little difference whether connecting via IPC or TCP.

Of course you are probably asking:
"If you are on the server, why setup either?"

The answer is because many applications always connect through TNS.

In any case, I don't see much difference regardless of how the connection is made
while on the server.

Has anyone here done any testing on this?

Or perhaps it is something that changed in a release?

Thanks,

--
Jared Still