Re: Time estimate for patches from Oracle

From: Dennis Williams <oracledba.williams_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2008 10:55:00 -0500

Bill,

Just a clarifying question. What priority was given to your SR? Is this a P1? At most vendors (speaking as someone who previously worked as a developer for vendors), the speed of support activities such as patches is related to the assigned priority. Usually P1 means everybody drop what they are doing and fix it NOW because the user site is dead in the water. The sense of urgency drops rapidly once you back off from a P1, so how soon you see a patch could vary widely. And the other magic word is "workaround", as in hey the user has a workaround so we'll just add the patch to the next release :-)

     To be fair to the vendor, they have to balance their resources between patch fixing and making progress on new releases.

Dennis Williams