RMAN clone with ASM

From: Ram Raman <veeeraman_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2008 16:40:57 -0500

Hi all,

we have a 10g production system on ASM. We have a test server with ASM too and has multiple databases sharing the ASM in test.

I cloned the production system (PPRD) last month to another system (PSPLAY). We cloned by doing a recovery of production on the test server. (Procedures left by the previous DBA). We now want to clone the DEV db with production.

Last time, after we cloned our production system the files in the test server were restored with production directory structure:

ASMCMD> pwd
+INDEX/PSPLAY/DATAFILE
ASMCMD> ls -ltr
Type      Redund  Striped  Time             Sys  Name
                                            N    psidxtools =>

+INDEX/PPRD/DATAFILE/PSIDXTOOLS.261.645115691
N psindex1 =>
+INDEX/PPRD/DATAFILE/PSINDEX.262.645126073
N psindex2 =>
+INDEX/PPRD/DATAFILE/PSINDEX.274.645115683
N psindex3 =>
+INDEX/PPRD/DATAFILE/PSINDEX.273.645137733
N psindex4 =>
+INDEX/PPRD/DATAFILE/PSINDEX.272.645137735
N psidx_amlarge =>

+INDEX/PPRD/DATAFILE/PSIDX_AMLARGE.271.645137737

As you can see it restored them in +INDEX/PPRD/... and created a link to that in +INDEX/PSPLAY/DATAFILE

This is despite using rename the files during RMAN restore:

run
{
configure device type disk parallelism 3; set newname for datafile 1 to '+SYSTEM/PSPLAY/datafile/system'; set newname for datafile 2 to
'+UNDO/PSPLAY/datafile/undotbs.256.630181055'; set newname for datafile 3 to '+SYSTEM/PSPLAY/datafile/sysaux'; set newname for datafile 4 to '+DATA/PSPLAY/datafile/users.386.603041941'; ....
restore database ;
switch datafile all;
}
exit

I am new to ASM and that was my first time using ASM and cloning in the environment. I had to do it several times to get the clone done. I remember using the above script, but I could have slipped too and forgot to rename the files, but it is unlikely. The above is a copy paste from the script which is still out there. I have checked all the RMAN restore scripts, they all rename the datafile to PSLAY.
Currently, I am trying to clone the DEV database with production. I do not want the PSPLAY to get overwritten in the process if RMAN restores the files to "+INDEX/PPRD/DATAFILE/..." or "+DATA/PPRD/DATAFILE/...."

I googled and checked the ASM book, but could not find an answer. Will the PSLAY data get overwritten while doing cloning? Or can someone vouch that it must have happened because I must have run a script without renaming the files? Thanks

Thanks.